Thursday, January 20, 2011

How I use my facebook

To me facebook is the wild west, the land of opportunity America was before the crash of all things that made up reality.  Recently facebook was valued at over 50 billion dollars, how can something that doesn't produce anyting solid be so valuable? And I will tell you right now, it is specifically targeted advertising.  When people click on "like" you are feeding advertisers with what they need, a targeted audience for the products they sell.  This is information they would ordinarily pay you for, that they get by you voluntarily submitting it to them.  Think about that, for years the advertisers were constantly thinking of ways to trick you into giving information.  This is a sea change in the world of marketing and its potential is just that, pure potential, but I digress, the purpose of this article is to explain how I use my facebook, and for me, as a small business owner, its extremely valuable, not only am I in direct contact with my customers but I'm able to tap into networks of friends, get groups of people to book parties and even advertise drink specials.  The other ways I use facebook are for expanding friendships and keeping people close by that live far away by being able to see pics and chat with them instantly.  The downside of facebook is the privacy issue, anything ever published is online forever, more than a few people have had mistakes that have cost them friends or created problems as well.  My account got deleted (long story) and I instantly got texts from  people asking me why I unfriended them.  I have also had posts in other places that accidentally got linked to facebook without me wanting that to happen.  Like anything else, facebook has its pros and cons, the key is to use it smartly and pay attention to what you post.

No comments:

Post a Comment