Monday, March 26, 2012

Which American City Has The Most To Offer?

I realize this is a subjective argument depending on a variety of factors, age, interests, marital status, income etc.  After living in the Bay Area, Michigan, Chicago, New York City, Southern Florida and visiting over forty states I often wonder which American city is the most dynamic, has the most to offer, where is the vibe the best?  My biased opinion is the west coast for me personally, Portland, Seattle, San Fransisco and even LA to lesser extent.  I live in Chicago now and the city is vibrant, energetic and has over 77 unique neighborhoods.  Public transportation is solid, not as good as NYC in my opinion, but you can get most places by bus or train.  Chicago also has a dense urban core, the loop, which the city radiates out from, stretching as far as southern Wisconsin and northern Indiana.    The bay area has the B.A.R.T. which is pretty solid as well, and that area cannot be surpassed in regards to natural beauty, funky vibe and outdoor variety of activities.  New York City is not as clean as Chicago but offers a unbridled enthusiasm which makes it an exciting place to live.  Someone once said, "it's like a soda, it just keeps bubbling up to the top."  When I lived and worked there, it was before, during and after 9/11 and I lived in Manhattan.  In those days the lower east side and Williamsburg where the hip areas, Brooklyn was just starting to become cool and the place to be.  I visited this past September and while hanging out with a Director of Photography buddy of mine in his Alphabet City condo, he lamented that all the good stuff was now going on in Brooklyn.  I'm eager to find out what others think? What do you believe to be the city with the most to offer an early 30's, artistic type?

No comments:

Post a Comment